View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #126
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I have a question on school choice . Let’s say you have 2 households they pay the same property taxes both house hold incomes are the same . And both stay in the and town till the kid finish high. School Yet 1 house hold sends 1 child to public school and the other has 5 but wants them all to go to private school. Via school choices

So how much is in a school choice voucher worth

I saw this On average, 8% of revenues are federal, 47% from the state, and 45% locally sourced. Since 2008, states have reduced their school funding from taxes by 12%, the most pronounced drop on record.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
it’s a great question, i don’t have a precise answer, i’d say something like this. my suburb spends $15k per student. if a parent wants to choose a private school, maybe the town gives a voucher representing a portion of what they’d spend anyway on that kid, maybe up to $5k, maybe less.

the parents who opt for private school are happy that they made a better choice for their kid. the public school keeps the other $10k they were going to spend in my kid, ow they have more to
spend on the remaining kids. And class sizes decrease.

That’s a major over simplification I know. but it could work and be win-win for everyone except teachers unions, which is the only reason why democrats oppose it. despite referring to themselves as pro choice.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device