Thread: tube stereo
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #25
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Very minimum is probably $150 for a repair. Expensive parts or complete restoration goes up and up from there... What is the model of Pioneer and what are the symptoms?
Thanks Zimmy. The rec. is a Pioneer TX 9500 II and the amp SA 9500 II. I am fairly certain the issue is in the amp. I did have someone look at it probably 15 years ago now and it seems like it was "fixed" for a little while but the problem soon came back. It seems to "cut out" to the speakers. Both speakers will work, then one (or the other) will cut out, sometimes both or both will cut to partial power. That is the best way can describe it. I did notice my husband hooked up both speakers and had one hooked up as "A" and the other as "B". Per the manual it said if you only have the 2 speakers it should all be hooked up under the "A" ( there are 2 sets of outlets for a and b in the back) After I did this the problem did not seem as bad but still there. If the symptom of say one speaker only working is happening I can toggle a switch or tweak a dial a few times to get both working again but it may or may not last.

Just frustrating emailing back and forth with the guy. Basically I just emailed him back and said I would have to forget about brining it to him. After a few emails back and forth he finally said it would be a minimum $250 but could not give me any sort of idea on max price. Sorry but I cant drop it off not knowing if when I go to pick it up I would owe him $250, $500, $1,000 or god knows how high it could go. I KNOW it's complex and I know what I have cannot be replaced in todays day and age but if you cant guesstimate and give me ant sort of price other than "min $250" than I cant commit and that's unfortunate! This has major sentimental value to me on top of it sounding great (when working of course) so I have no intention of ever getting rid of it. Just wish it weren't an act of god to get it repaired!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote