Thread: Boat Project
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 03:47 AM   #31
Linesider82

Update on electronics fusing:

In my post #23 third picture, you can see all 3 in-line fuse holders for my electronics. Radar fuse holder pictured over the top of the red wires, and the gps units pictured to the right of the main breaker panel.

I will likely change this in the future, but I know some of you are doing this now. I tried to open the yellow fuse holder and in the process likely broke the glass fuse inside by doing so because I wanted to have a few extras onboard if they blew. Anyways, I did a search online and cannot find what the fuse size, type etc is for the GPS units. I contacted my vendor, and he said "6a". I then asked what size? 20mm is too small, whats the length? he replied, he always cuts them off and runs it thru a 6a fuse block. I searched (not very hard) the manual and garmin's site for the fuse rating/ and size so the ends connect and cannot find any info, so I have an email into them for the fuse size and rating. The radar I believe draws more amps so it's a higher fuse rating.

If I get the answer I need from garmin I'm going to run the system with their inline fuses for this year. If not, I will place a 3 to 6 fuse block holder where the in-lines are mounted to the right hand side of the panel, but run a wire to the thermal fuse below and skip the breaker panel leaving two spaces open for future VHF and Radio install which I can live without. I do have a hand held VHF and can keep it charged via the 12v plug.

Last edited by Linesider82; 04-02-2021 at 04:35 AM..
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote