Thread: Bear!
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #15
labrax

My wife's cousin in Wendell - he may read these boards ended up killing one that was on his property repeatedly. It was justified and legal and was going into his chicken coop. They are not hunted much anymore - except for the automobile deaths there is not much to control their population numbers. Back about 10-15 yrs ago I know the populations was expanding at like 5-10%/year and they were expanding eastward at a good clip from Route 91, which seemed to be the real dividing line in the state for their local population.

I have heard stories of them coming into peoples houses and trashing the kitchens. They love bird feeders and you may just want to remove them and hope this guy moves on.

Buddy lives in NJ by Penn and he has had some pretty wild encounters with them as his property abuts some extensive woods. He was talking about a huge bear - like 400lbs on his property and his work buddies were busting him pretty good about it - turns out the bear was shot near his area and it was that big - it supposedly had ripped a garage door off to get at some tasty trash inside.

Very cool photos of the prints.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote