View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #60
Jimbo

Sadly, some of the terms expressed in this thread, "hopeless situation" "epidemic" "disease" only seem to be growing. In the mid-70's in high school it was, for me it was more or less just a foreign term for something taboo, touched on in health class. In college in my fraternity house, occasionally someone would "score a nickel or dime bag" (Does anyone even use that phrase means now-a-days). I tried it in college, and found it had little effect on me and the .10 cent beers from the tap were a much better investment on my limited budget. After college a lot of the folks my wife and I were friendly would produce had cigar boxes full of it or other snortable recreants, usually with some quasi-medicinal benefit "...dude, it's cut with some good $#it man," which, upon learning the good $#it was crystalized horse tranquilizers, turned me off even more and cost me some once good friends. Then our kids grew up and practically every week in the police blotter I'd read and still do about one of their friends getting arrested for narcotics possession or distribution, and my kids shrugged it off as nothing more than a minor bust. Now if I ask my kids how so-and-so from high school is doing these days, I'm apt to hear they're in rehab or they died and it doesn't seem to be that upsetting to them. And, as Raven and others have alluded, you (me too, in my situation) can't get even away from it. REO Speedwagon said we gotta roll with the changes; I just don't have it in me.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote