View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Ok Eddy, here you go.
The plug is 9"
the eyes are 1 5/8" back and about 1/4" above centerline. A 1" saltyball will cut the cove
the plug is widest (1.1") from just behind the eye to the first hook.
the first hook is 1 15/16" back
the second hook is 5 5/8" back at which point the plug has tapered very gradually to 1.04"
the tail is .64" (1" from the tail is .79, 2" from tail .91", and 2 3/4" from tail 1.0")
the wire hole is .25" below centerline, but the original has the lip mounted slightly below centerline (which I think was unintentional).
the lip is a Pikie 3 with different bends. Flatten one, bend it right through the middle of the original eye slot (which should be about .92" from the base), then make your second bend .4" down and you will be close. The wire hole on the original is .18" from the lipslot bend (but since it is mounted below centerline it lines up with the hole that is .25 below centerline.....my advice is not to bother, just split the difference and mount on center). The original has a vertical wire loop.

The lip has a backwards bend to it, which moves the lip back some, sort of like a rebel. To do this, mount the lip in the plug, put it against the edge of a table and push down. The prototype swam fine without this step.

The original, with 3 old school 3/0 mustads weighs 2.95 oz. AYC will come out very close.

If you go to the shorelinebt.com site they have some good pictures

Finally, Habs Stix followed a slightly more recent version of this plug, but used a stock Pikie 3 lip from what I can see online. I don't know what he used for wood or what his plug weighed. Maybe someone who has one can tell us what it weighed with what kind of hooks on it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote