View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I saw it a lot when I was working out in the field a lot in the 80's and 90's installing but been mostly in my shop custom work last couple of decades. I know during the 80's building boom when work was plentiful, hackers came out of the woodwork to make a buck not knowing what they were doing. Same thing happens again when times are good.
But with today's young people feeling entitled and not willing to "EARN" it like we all did, I don't know how the stuff will get done. It literally is a competition among customers to find and hire competent tradesmen.
I am going thru a bit of it myself building an inlaw space at my home for my wife's mother. Been doing ok so far hiring the right people for the most part. Doing as much as I can myself of course but it is costing a small fortune for a 20x36 addition. Waiting on rough electrical now before we can insulate. Once this is done, I then will remodel my kitchen before I totally destroy my body.

I think the level of care is just not there with many people when things are busy especially. Maybe greed has something to do with it.
I find myself taking more time to do jobs these days because I am even more fussy than I need to be or ever was, but it has to be right no matter what it costs me as the priority is quality first. Materials have been a problem last few years, corners get cut and stuff gets shipped so I find myself having to fix crap I buy if it's not worth the hassle of getting replacement. pretty sad.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote