View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
Rockfish9

All this kind of falls in line with something that I have been working on for years, It's a 9" jointed eel plug that I first made in the late 80's,I stoped making plugs for a few years so it went to the back burner.. that one was a piece of crap, eventualy, I narrowed it down and made it vey slim ( 3/4") and used a surfster lip, it sat in the water with the nose hanging straight down, it looked totaly like junk, but man did it fish, it's biggest downfall was in casting, it flew like a helicopter... last year I began experimenting with laminating cedar to maple,by doing so, I could fatten the plug to 7/8".... I found the perfect balance, now using a pikie #1 lip and sparcly weighting the mid section and tail, I have a plug that sits just above the surface,, perfecly level fishes great and casts well, I've eliminated the tail hook, for obvious reasons.... I've never actualy shown the plug alone, I have ,in the past posted pictures with it in a fishes maw...If I make it to plug fest, I'll show it to those that ask...

BTW, I epoxy seal this plug ( it is the only one that I do this way) to eliminate any issues with the difference in sealing the maple and cedar, it also helps seal the gorilla glue, although I have used it in the past on needlefish without issue...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote