View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #26
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
I think there is merit to what you say there about weight. The best danny plugs I make for slow water or where I want subtle wiggle at Very Slow retrieve rates are a fat bodied style the are a comfortable 3 ounces with bwlly weights and hooks, etc. . I also think that body shape comes in to play. My theory is that the narrow/wide/narrow profile helps create current vortexes that quickly destablize the plug allowing it to move right away.

That Narrow fat narrow design is a bassmaster design.He basically made a surface swimmer out of a sub surface swimmer design.
It still had roll thats why he painted em in solids with No eye's..
The fat belly worked with the lead to make a pivot point in a plug that was designed to snake thru the water.The lip could not pull the belly down so it did this tail wake thing..They casted pretty well and caught well when bait fish like herring or peanuts where present.There was the tendency to over do the proportions.One of my best producers was midly enhanced.It swam better when the water was right.
Beachmaster seemed to enlarge the shape of his Danny's in recent years.This keeps the plug from digging and snaking through the water as well as the earlier designs.Flap will tell ya.I agreed from the first time he mentioned it.
I have some 3+oz mac danny's from the old days.
Some of my favorites.AYC thin, they get snaking and it's hard to stop em.The right Danny is a good plug for when the water is right IMO.Perhaps thats why they are still one of my favorites.
I gonna make a thinned out forty to see if I can replicate the same action with a face that is more suited to subsurface action..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote