View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #23
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I've got another "observation" I stumbled across yesterday. I always assumed that the less weight in a surface swimming plug, the easier it would swim and the slower you could work it. Wrong again. Turns out with those skinny donnys I made, they swim at a much slower retrieve with 14 grams in them they they do with 8 grams. What I think is happening is that when the plug floats higher, some of the force (ie retrieve speed) is used up overcoming it's buoyancy before the plug develops its action. Go too slow and the plug just skims the surface without working. The plug sitting deeper in the surface film can start working sooner. This also explains something that puzzled me for years. The best surface swimmer I ever had was a beat-up Lupo with oversized (3/0) belly trebles. It would waterlog on the first cast, but outfish anything else I owned by a ton. It now occurs to me that it must have been sitting much deeper than my other less beat up Beachmasters, and working at a slower speed. Not sure this is right, but something to try in any case.
That makes absolutely perfect sense to me .. sitting lower in the water = more resistance = less pull for more action ..That finding is worth 1 million pretty paint jobs .. Once again its how the plug sits at rest in the water. Thank you George .. You make my brain hurt but its worth it .. I'm totally sold on your finding ...
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote