Thread: Boat Project
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #18
Linesider82

Update 2:
After dryfitting the panels and building mounts for the electronics I started on wiring. The boat had a small piece of plywood mounted to one side and I recalled seeing the old switch board with breakers underneath was positioned on the front lower vertical face. With two young boys 6 & 3 I didn't wish to replicate the location and the alternative meant I needed more mounting space.

I removed the piece of plywood and replaced it with a 22"*35" piece of azek rather than treating a new piece of ply with resin or epoxy. Plus being white it would illuminate the wiring better with a light, and pvc won't soak in and hold water.

It's setup for a 2 battery system. I used a bluesea combined charger / acr which will give me a charge while under power if the starting battery is at 12.8 and do the same thing after a day on the water with an a/c plug. The house battery runs to a resettable circuit breaker panel which protect the loads, the power heads to my new switch panel and back down to busbars. I used white shrink wrap on top of the heat shrink ring terminals to label all the wires.

Kinda got to a point where I needed to piece out the remaining wiring and required wire lugs but noticed if I doubled up a few negative wires on the bus bar I could test everything on the switch panel. So I found two of my old battery cable leads and hooked it up. Test went great and it felt good.

I opened the cover to the hull and pulled out the old main power wires, ran new ones, pulled out the old cable steering and pulled the hoses and mounted the hydraulic cylinder.

Plan is to swing the console in over Easter weekend, finish the boat just in time for work to get crazy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote