View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Mass View Post
I was just glad to find something at the bog box stores that would work and I really wanted the 90 degree. If it gets annoying, I'll swap it out this summer.

Yes - Lesson learned. A V8 moment for sure and I missed it in NIB's earlier post. It'll be a little cumbersome to do it now, but I got all winter

Hey thanks for all your help. This will be the next winter fishing project.

Where were you when I started this thing I'm going with the school of NIB for now - bubbles only (plus enclosed ice and some other additives). If they start dying out in numbers, I'll revisit what you and Stiff Tip are suggesting.

I have built 200 gal tanks with a six stone system that we would transport 150 herring in.I have done 7 others from 30 -50 gallons.
I Primarily use what is called a hospital pump.It's a piston pump that was used to pump air in a hospital.It's on the workbench as there is something not quite right with it.So I'm back to my original pump.My first pump was the Dayton.Like I mentioned but I could not seem to find it on the web.It was small like a coffe can.It has a draw of .08 amps which was great.I could run it quite while with no wrorries..I would use this to go to trenton bringing back 35 herring in a 35 gallon tank.About a hr ride with some in there from the time it takes to catch em.There would be the ususal casualties mostly from handling but for the most part the pump was more that adequate.This is really stretching their limitaions..
While I agree with Saltheart on a basket.I have used the collapsable Mesh net type on the backside flats of Nantucket.It does not really suit my needs from the jetty's.I have to keep em in the tank in my van.I hump em in a pail usually one at a time to my fishing locations.Most of my livelining takes place in the early summer months.I have a dark van and it can get really hot in there.So the I have gone thru best means of keeping my bait fresh.I ususally catch em in the wee hrs of the morning.I prefer to start with a good number like 8-10 in a 50 gallon tank.I keep em as they deplete thru attrition thru the day..I ususally wont go fishing unless I have at least 4 good baits.
I have also built a holding pen that is 4x8 by 5 ft tall.It's a masterpeice of ABS pipe and mesh..The Herring Motel..If I am not going to use em all I might penn em..
I put quite a bit of work into my live baits.I have learned what works and what does not the hard way..
My friend has been using that pump a few yrs now with no problems.Yes there are larger ones.I have a pump that with one stone will boil a dozen bunker.They also will dram more amperage.You will have toi get a better stone.You are going to have to wieght it to keep it on the bottom.Them square edged white stones work well and are heavy enough to stay on the bottom..
Aquaticeco .com has everything.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote