View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Every state I know of has a criminal usury law, which typically sets any interest rate above a percentage in the low 20s as a criminal offense.

How credit card companies can get away with charging some customers a 30% interest rate is a mystery to me.
Exactly, Mike - in fact, that's precisely what I discussed with my wife this morning over coffee - if memory serves, wasn't - or isn't - anything over somewhere around 18 or 19% in RI considered usury?

They said that credit cards have pretty much put loan sharks out of business - and the consequences are almost as bad given the behavior of the unregulated collection agencies who buy the bad debt for mere pennies on the dollar.

I used to joke with my wife about the rates charged for late payments saying that it would be cheaper to get the money from a 'shark. Not too far from the truth anymore...

BoA, Citi, et al. will kill ya with the vig alone on outstanding balances - and that's the point that everyone misses...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote