Thread: Do you.......
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
Flaptail

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfly View Post
that's an easy and tough question all mixed in one.I moved from Braintree to the cape in 1985.Took a 30% cut in pay[ma bell] and 50% raise in rent.Best thing I ever did.I sold my slide-in camper and 19' n.american c.c.,gave my brother my 76 f-250[mechanic at Dave Dinger ford].Bought a new 86 bronco and started "livin the good life".The first year I saved $12,000 by not hanging in the bars[weymouth landing] and partying.Working out of Orleans I learned all the back roads and little places not traveled.Took an offer to work on Nantucket for the summers.Locked up the appt.[w.dennis] the 1st week of may and came back after laborday.worked pretty much 7 days a week &fished most nights,heaven!!Did that ten years.Almost moved there but now I'm glad I didn't[too crowded].Got engaged bought a couple of acres and built a house in Truro.This was my "Nantucket".Things were great for a few years.Took an early buy-out at 52[34yrs] and then the relationship went into the toilet.Subdivided the property and sold the house.Moved to Orleans 3 yrs ago.Now with all the "issues" both natural and man-made with the beaches and infrastructure in general.I'm looking at the possibility of finding a "golden pond" or acreage in w.mass,vt,n.h.,me.I still co-own an acre in truro but can't afford to buy it.I love this place in the off-season,these next two months you can have it.When I have to go up to Boston and drive through my old"hood" I thank god I got out when I did.ANYONE WANT TO BUY AN ACRE IN TRURO??
Bob, for what we have for 10 months out of 12, I know you would not be happy inland or somewhere else. This place is in your blood more so than almost anyone I ever met. You know the land and the history and it's part of you, the winter beach walks, the trout fishing on kettle hole ponds and the two months the "others" are here mostly really suck for fishing along shore anyway. Yeah there are crowds and traffic and bird closures but there are pleanty of places still to get away and the same problems follow you/us wherever we make our homes such as bills , development etc. DEP, EPA TREE HUGGERS Realationships and others. those will be there wherever you go. ( Karl I think you know it too)

Our real problem, and I truly believe we are kindred spirits in this ( along with Karl), is that we were born 30 years too late.

I will die here, my ashes and my wife's will be scatterd by my daughters and friends at Brush hollow in Truro someday and I will walk those beaches for eternity.

It's in my blood and yours and there is no way to get it out and no way I want to either.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote