View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
That’s really cool. I bet it’s American chestnut.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I did not scrap or sand, but I was thinking it is chestnut as well.

The boards stay. We wrapped it with modern house wrap, PVC trim, corner boards, and cement clapboards that should carry the house into the end of the century for a carpenter who is likely not yet born yet to play housewright ...

For those that don't know, a little history. Before the Revolution any lumber that measured 24" or greater was considered the property of the King, George III for the most part, and was shipped back to be used as masts, on ships, or in houses. King's Pine or King's wood. I have a couple houses I work on with floorboards or paneling that measure up to 23 1/2 " wide... There are 250-300 houses here in town built before the Revolution.

The bottom had light tar paper, while above the second floor we found a gray paper with almost a felt cloth feel to it.

Jeff, this house is just fifty feet outside the historic district, so the owners had the option of choosing modern vs traditional materials. They chose the cementboard claps after I showed them the price for a box of Red cedar R&R shingles was >$550/box, and they would need 2.5 boxes per 100 square feet.... After that, the choice of PVC trim and cornerboards was a no brainer. They have already asked if I could continue to do another side of the house, but can't fit into the schedule until maybe October...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote