View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
ReelinRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUERKRAUT View Post
Question: I love shock leaders for the practical aspects of the fishing. The knot seems to play additional havoc with braid as opposed to mono. And forget about putting the knot on the reel spool with one or two wraps like I used to do. But even the knot left outside along the guide train seems to be problematic. Should I just forget about the shock leader idea? Any experience?

Bonds, Sauerkraut
This is a contentious issue with me and I often get into heated discussions with guys from the south (especially NC) about what material to use . . .

First, let me state the fundamental tenet of my position: To me, the thought that the rod must be "protected" from the "shock" of the cast is nonsensical.

If the object is to impart the maximum energy upon the sinker (or lure) with the least energy exerted by the caster, then the addition of a component to the system that stretches just does not compute for me.

That's why I use a braid casting leader. I use 80lb for my casting leaders, its only job is to resist breakage from the centrifugal force exerted by the sinker during the cast. A side benefit to using braid is to minimize the size of the knot that must be passed thru the guides. I use a spider hitch in the 20lb running line then I tie uni to uni with the doubled 20 and the 80. I end up with 2 slim knots about 2 inches apart; I have never had this connection fail.

Breaks usually occur at the end of the leader. That's why diligence in inspecting the line is required. A braid casting leader is more susceptible to abrasion from shells and rubbing, especially when one is casting "off the ground" and the payload skims the ground before takeoff.

Understand, in fishing conditions (using a "typical" fishing cast) casting a payload within the rating of the rod will not overstress it. The truth is too, very few fishermen can truly and fully "load" the rod they are using. If a caster does not have good technique there is no way the rod is going to get loaded and thus, there's no way the rod will be stressed. To completely and effectively load a rod requires a refined casting motion . . . and that inherently is not abrupt or "shocking" to the rod because it is a progression of power.

The next question is, do you need a casting leader? Most guys I know who are big wood plug and popper users are spooling with 50lb braid . . . Just for the manageability of it at night, less wind knots or other line tension issues. With 50lb braid throwing plugs and metals under 6oz I would say no "shocker" is needed.

The common rule of thumb is 10 lbs of casting leader for each ounce of payload but understand that this rule is for tournament casting using a full pendulum casting motion with rods typically 14 feet or longer. A 150gm (5.24oz) sinker swinging at 200+mph on a radius of over 20 feet "weighs" 60lbs . . .

For fishing, using overhead thump casts (or OTG) even 30lb braid (if not frayed or damaged) will safely handle repeated casts of 5- 6 ounce payloads.

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
ReelinRod is offline   Reply With Quote