View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #170
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Easy enough to change that to “on this continent.”

Slavery existed on this continent before Columbus.
And, on this continent, several Blacks owned slaves.

Unless you claim that with the Declaration of Independence we were miraculously reborn with blank minds.

It wasn't miraculous, nor was it rebirth. It was a birth delivered in blood and conceived not by blank minds, but by brave men with minds formed through the rare experience of actual freedom from the grips of tyrannical government. They did not believe that what they created was perfect. But more perfect than before and a blueprint for becoming more so.

We are not dealing with the rest of the world. Aren’t you the guy who says we should let the rest of the world take care of itself, that we shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.

Analysis and policing are not the same. Comparative analysis is highly instructive. The the larger and more universal the scope, the greater the reliability of the results. Unless you prefer little minds trapped in provincial tunnel vision.

Slavery was so much a part of this country that 750,000 Americans died in a fight over it 150 years ago, then we had the 14th, 15th and 24th amendments reconstruction, Jim Crow which lasted thru WW2
Then the civil rights act of 1957, 64, 68, 91

I don't know why you think that I, nor anyone I know, doesn't know all that.

But pay no attention to any of that, everything in America is and has always been perfect.

Nor do I know why you think I or anyone I know believes that. The Founders certainly didn't. They instituted a government that would give us a chance to evolve toward that elusive but impossible perfection. But, if we are to believe what CRT tells us, because they were all "white" their Constitution is riddled with "whiteness" and therefor systemically racist.

Because the conservative position is that all criticism or change is bad. Except climate change, which doesn't exist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Since you ask me to pay no attention because of what you claim is the conservative position (I assume you think I am a "conservative"), I am flummoxed at how you arrive at such proclamations about me. I don't think all criticism is bad. I do a lot of criticism. As I'm sure those who you point to as "conservative" do as well. And it certainly is no position that I nor any Republicans I know hold that all change is bad. I'm sure that most of us, including you, believe that some changes can be bad.