View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #166
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I would be upset if someone as myopic as the teacher you refer to was actually allowed to teach history.

Slavery has been a part of the recorded world longer than it not being part of it. It's even still part of the world that is older than "America."

So, by this teacher's reasoning, the whole world of human nations must have been "born" as much in chains as in freedom. The whole world must need CRT.

The amalgamation of what was referred to as America was not a separate sovereign nation during most of the 400 years. And since it became a sovereign republic, slavery was only part of the republic for 89 of it's 245 years, so it has been a part of the U.S. far less than when it wasn't a part of the U.S..

So, if this more than less formula is a model for needing CRT, maybe we are less in need of CRT than most. If in need at all. If CRT can actually and satisfactorily solve racial inequity without creating a worse systemic monster. In my opinion, it is the old authoritarian, actually dictatorial, way of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Easy enough to change that to “on this continent.” Unless you claim that with the Declaration of Independence we were miraculously reborn with blank minds.
We are not dealing with the rest of the world. Aren’t you the guy who says we should let the rest of the world take care of itself, that we shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.
Slavery was so much a part of this country that 750,000 Americans died in a fight over it 150 years ago, then we had the 14th, 15th and 24th amendments reconstruction, Jim Crow which lasted thru WW2
Then the civil rights act of 1957, 64, 68, 91
But pay no attention to any of that, everything in America is and has always been perfect.
Because the conservative position is that all criticism or change is bad. Except climate change, which doesn't exist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin