View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Home stretch?

Miles 6-8 were a blur as I was shuddering uncontrollably from the electric shock and cold water. Every so often the sun would pop out and provide just enough heat to keep things going. Fortunately, our workout regimen positioned us well for the long distance as I never felt overwhelmed in terms of physical need, nor did any of my buddies. One of them had done several Boston Marathons and was really impressed with the level of challenge as well as the diversity of the obstacles. At this point, though, it seemed like time had stopped. There was a good number of people bowing out around mile six as it seemed like the miles were getting real long at this point.

We encountered a couple real challenging water obstacles at this time. One of them was called, "walk the plank" where you plunged about 15-20 feet into real cold water, then had to swim back to shore. My buddy Joe jumped off and disappeared under the surface for what seemed like an eternity. I did a straight jackknife and wound up way under the surface. I was thinking I would touch bottom and push off to get back to the surface quickly, but guessed wrong. The water was real deep and cold, thus I had to claw back to the surface. My buddy Joe was in the water when the guy next to him popped up and started convulsing from the cold water. The medics responded real quick and got the guy onto a board, then delivered him safely ashore where he came to his senses shortly after. There were some sick dudes doing back flips off the board which made for some fun viewing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walk the plank 2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	51951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Walk the plank.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	51952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Walk the plank 3.jpg
Views:	245