View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
Eric Roach
Big E

The next couple of posts will contain the dimensions of the pieces of the box, but here's some general info:

General
  • The box is held with a couple of bolts through the brackets that fix the Vega to the lathe bed, but I didn't design this box with ease of removal in mind -- I have a seperate lathe for hand tools.
  • I adjusted the Vega before I built the box; I wanted to make sure it would cut the the thickest piece possible. I used a caliper to ensure it cut the same diameter across the full travel of the carriage. Once all was squared, I locked it down and built the box around this permanent set-up of the Vega.
Materials
  • I used Melamine on the back and base of the box becase I needed the thickness: I had to use a Forstner on the underside of the bottom piece to compensate for the bolt heads securing the Vega to the lathe bed; the back piece needed to be thick to hold the 4" hose flange.
  • I used 1/4" Lexan for the rest of the box. I'm not sure I'd use Lexan again, it isn't completely electrically inert -- it seems to attract wood dust. Not sure how other clear plasics would compare.
Tools
  • I did almost all my cutting on my bandsaw using a fence. If cutting with a table saw you'll want a laminate blade.
  • I had to buy a 4" hole saw for the hole flange.
  • The Lexan was bonded using Weld-On 16 Acrylic Cement.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote