View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I think overall he has been the worst president of my lifetime. So if you want to pick some things and say he's done a good job more power to you. I think his environmental and economic policies have hurt the country and most of all hurt the poor and have benefited the rich. You view tax cuts as beneficial, I view them as stupid when we are running a huge deficit.Do I disagree with 100% of what he has done of course not but I choose to focus on the vast majority of his policies of which I disagree with.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"I think overall he has been the worst president of my lifetime"

Easy to conclude that, when you willfully ignore every single positive thing he has done.

"So if you want to pick some things and say he's done a good job"

I, unlike you, consider everything. The good and the bad. It's not "me". What about the Gallup poll, done every presidential election year, where a record number in 2020 (even during a pandemic) said they were better off than 4 years ago? The poll was done during the pandemic, and never before, have more Americans claimed to be better off than 4 years ago. For me, the only conclusion is that Americans like his policies. You disagree with my interpretation of that poll (I don't see any other conclusion), but you don't offer an alternative.

I don't know how to judge his presidency overall. His character is so completely flawed, I don't know the words to describe it. But his policies, were in my opinion very positive, and the Gallup poll supports that. But he got creamed in the election, which tells us with zero ambiguity that the same people who liked his policies, didn't want to deal with the baggage. You can't often say that a one-term presidency was a smashing success, and I won't make that claim with Trump, it would be silly to try.

"I think his economic policies have hurt the country"

You are in a very, very small minority who really think that. The only thing that didn't get much better was the debt, and he deserves criticism for that. By just about every single other measure, he improved the economy meaningfully, and moreso for minorities. That's one of the reasons that liberal elites hated him. For all their talk, he did more for blacks than any president in my lifetime, and it's not even close. No one comes close. Liberals have been saying for decades that the 1990s crime bill was racist (and authored by Joe Biden, but let's save that for another time). Obama had control of both houses of congress for much of his first 2 years, he easily could have reformed that crime bill. He didn't. It took Trump. And I hate what Trump did with crime reform, but its what liberals in general, and blacks in particular, have been asking for, for decades. No one chose to deliver, until Trump. Why is that?

Paul, what does it say to you, that you criticize Sarah Sanders for insulting assault victims (which is very fair criticism), but you refuse to comment that Hilary did the same exact thing?