View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 09:42 PM   #310
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Listening to your song and dance one would think all blacks would be Republicans, but they’re not.

Facts, not song and dance. Facts that belie the notion that there was a big "switch" where Republicans switched into racist white Southerners. That is Propaganda.

Maybe they saw through the Republican baloney

It was not baloney. It was facts. The "big switch" is propagandistic baloney.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
And the South became less racist when it became Republican--when the "big switch" baloney supposedly happened.