View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #35
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Seems to me that going into the trades is... and has been disparaged by a majority of people in the academic world....and a job where you are getting your hands dirty and are physically challenged was considered to be for the 'not bright enough to go to college crowd".
Less and less of our youth consider going into carpentry.
It really doesnt pay that well...unless you go prevailing wage or union and....since it has no qualifying standards or licensure....as opposed to other trades... anyone can call themselves a carpenter
Now we are getting a huge influx of construction workers coming here from third world countries....willing to work very hard....harder than most Americans.....even the women are there. They work harder, longer and cheaper than our native sons. They didnt come here to play.......they are taking our jobs that we dont want to do anymore.
I don't claim to be perfect but think I got a good eye for obvious errors.
Just ran into this yesterday
Sister in law's babby daddy ( one of them) and his Brazilian buddies are running a "carpentry business".
They doin a kitchen and deck job right around corner from me. He calls me last weekend in desperation to see if I can hook up sink/ stove as they don't know how and plumber wanted criminal money to do and was gonna be a month before could get to. so reluctantly got involved. Pecked at it over course of week and they finished up all their elevated deck work and watched
They were cranking and seemed competent.
Well they loaded out and I just checked around yesterday to compare work
They did a proper job framing but I feel
Bad for the home owner.
All treks boards. Done with hidden fasteners At least but some not straight, uneven spacing against picture frame board. Most with zero space. Can't wait to watch what happens when warms up.
On front steps had zero clue how to properly measure, calculate and cut risers. Treads vary 6 inches wide to 10 and same with the risers. To boot they screwed treads down with one screw in center of each board. I thought we're gonna roll right off on me walking up already, never mind when screws in new pt risers loosen up with time.
Then on the landing they just used I don't know maybe Sheetrock screws all sticking up and only one in middle of each. Good grief.
Professionally kindly pointed out issues to her.
She was appreciative and wants me to
Make right. Would rather get those guys back, help give them the guidance and advice on proper attention to details so maybe they can learn
Hard workers. Lack of skill knowledge, attention to details.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote