Thread: Boat Project
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #105
Linesider82

MV 2021

Had a 2 week family vacation to MV. This was the first trip in 20 years where I trailered a boat out to expand our adventures on the island.

The island was shrouded in fog when we first arrived, so the first day we launched inside Katama pond with the goal of motoring thru Edgartown harbor and then get into Cape Poge for some family fishing, swimming and sight seeing. The fog was thick in the morning, especially being close to the Norton point barrier beach along the south side of the island. The radar worked awesome because the visibility was only 50' or so until it broke up just south of Edgartown harbor area.

We had a destination in mind to get out of the boat and swim and just before reaching our spot we found a 15' hole inside of cape poge stacked with porgy so the boys spent a while catching them on epoxy jigs tipped with squid. I tried throwing them back, but the boys insisted on keeping them and ended up with 30 to fillet.

Prior to the start of the vacation, I had already planned a fishing trip with my surf casting partner, weather dependent whether it would be in the surf or from the boat. He took off a Friday from work, and the weather cooperated to be a perfect boating day. Even though the tog limit was 1 fish per day/person I wanted to target them and see if I could find a larger fish so I picked a bunch of asain crabs the day before. I left from the VH ramp in the dark and motored across to Falmouth harbor which is absolutely an incredible harbor to pick him up at 5AM, we headed SW and threw some eels into the rocks along Squibnocket only to get bitten off by blues and we decided to leave when a giant seal popped up. Headed SW again and fished some boulders for tog around the SE side of Noman's caught some small BSB and tog which we released because we wanted something larger. Got a text from a friend who said he wasn't going to make it out with his boat, so we pulled anchor and headed SW again to the ledge off Noman's. Our first drop with vertical jigs produced 2 BSB around 22" and we knew this was gonna be an exciting day, the action never stopped and we only moved to get back over structure. We caught cod, blackfish, bsb, and giant porgy on both tog jigs and vertical jigs, we left when our arms were jello. Sharks stole some of our BSB while reeling in which made for some good fights and spool dumping runs until the line cut. It was like fishing at SeaWorld LOL. It was so good, we made the same trip again a week later when the weather and sea conditions allowed.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote