Thread: Boat Project
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #97
Linesider82

While my uncle Ant was catching I was playing around with the electronics, I noticed a lot of the contours were not correct, and chocked it up to the lake level being significantly low for the time of year. Typically the 3rd saturday in June means the water is up against the road embankment along Rte 2. This year we had about 10' of "beach" meaning severe drought & smallmouth bass likely on beds or even post spawn. My dad fished about 10 miles north of us and sent me a text of a 4.40lb smallmouth. I texted him back did he enter Anthony as a teammate for the tournament which I already knew the answer to. "no" was his reply and I said "good, because you'd probably be in first place for teams with two good fish." He replied, "what'd you get?" ... My dad's bass went 19th of 500 entered smallmouth, and Anthony's pike would have gone 10th or 11th, but the entire tournament allows for combined species of similar styles of fishing on a prorated scale of points per pound of fish. I haven't brought myself to do the math but they would have been in prize money for teams for sure.

back to the electronics, I marked a bunch of things I was interested in and had seen the auto contour setting in the past but couldn't for the life of me find it the first day. Anthony and I caught some smallies on some reefs and I noted the side of the reefs they preferred to revisit later.
KIMG1679.jpg
small fish but worth its weight in gold. We putz around and went to dock at a gift shop / weigh station to get sandwiches. Anthony had to experience the Thomas Jefferson sandwich, which is a turkey sandwich on a fresh baked roll with cranberry mayo and red onions. After that he said he needed a nap, so I dropped him off and waited out a fast hit storm before grabbing my brother and hitting the water again. Still saturday, we blasted back out to the pike grounds for a few dinks, then hit some smallie territory where we caught some decent fish.
IMG_20210627_194307_755.jpg

IMG_20210627_194307_656.jpg

I managed to mark an edge that I love for walleye, but still hadnt turned on the auto contour. the NOAA data was not showing some major reefs at all, which is fine because a lot of people miss it but at the same time needed attention to fish properly.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote