View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 11:34 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Jim you are dense, it's so different it hasn't gone to this many votes in what 150 years now, they passed the 100 year mark a day ago. The difference is your party and the supposed leader of the party didn't take the time or make the effort to get the votes needed after the congress was secured. It's just more fallout from Trump, cost the white house, cost the big mid term, put wack jobs in the position they are in now to hold the house hostage.
"he difference is your party and the supposed leader of the party didn't take the time or make the effort to get the votes needed after the congress was secured"

I can say the same exact thing about Biden and the democrats after he won in 2020. They had time to get everyone on the same page, but they didn't, and as a result, it took them quite a while to get the huge spending bill approved. At the time, conservatives were laughing that the party that controlled both chambers and the white house couldn't pass a spending bill. But after several rounds of failed votes and negotiations and compromises, the bill passed, and today no one cares about the dysfunctionality that preceded it.

So it's OK when democrats in a majority can't gain an immediate consensus on something, it's OK when there are failed votes and stalls and threats and political posturing that delay the passing of the final bill. It's totally fine when that happens to democrats. But when the same thing happens to republicans, it's the end of the party.

Word is that McCarthy is caving to much of what the conservatives want, especially in regards to federal spending, which is the biggest thing the GOP can do when they control the house but not the senate.

I give Biden and the democrats credit for passing the infastructure bill, it was necessary and popular. Well, today what's also necessary and becoming more and more popular on both sides, is the idea that we can't endlessly add to the federal deficit. I don't think only conservatives agree with that. If the conservatives can get McCarthy to be more disciplined on federal spending, then in my opinion that's worth the egg they've had on their faces for the last few days. If voting against him for a few rounds was required to get him to push for a balanced budget, then good for them. And shame on McCarthy for not being immediately on board with that.

When this is done, the only people who will care, are those with a seething hatred of the GOP. It's the same exact thing the democrats went through when they passed build back better. Same exact concept applied to a different federal issue. The progressives wanted zillions in extra spending that the moderate democrats in the senate were never going to agree to. That went on and on and on. The democrats controlled everything but the different factions couldn't agree. And I enjoyed it at the time, just as you are enjoying this. But I didn't claim it was the end of the democratic party, because that would be as stupid as saying this is the end of the GOP. It's nothing.