Thread: ProWrap
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Fibrestar

I running a production shop and my out wrappers who I gave a certain color in Prowrap hate the stuff. These are people who wrap for a living not rod builders. They are much faster then any of us. They get paid per tie off so being quick is key. They have no hang ups about rod building like many of us do they just do a job. The problem with Prowrap? It's stretch, when cut it unwinds and frays badly, It packs spongy and it burnishes like crap, It can have more knots or reties on one spool then you have ever seen and this ends up costing me and them money!!, it can get funny when finish is applied!

I know Saltheart doesn't like the transparent look and I don't think it's worse the Guberod in that respect. I depend on this to a point to match wrap colors to blank color. kind of disappear!! Compare Gube D size to Pro Wrap D and you will notice the Guberod diameter is greater while the PW is more like C size Guberod. I will also note that Guberod was wound/twisted for rod building only which until recently I didn't know. The Prowrap isn't just for rod building.

Not that Guberod was great but IMO it was the best choice although the color selection wasn't the best. I have since been testing a few threads, National, Fishhawk, Pacbay and a new thread that might be on market soon.

The National is not going to cut it at all another thread not made for rod building. Fishhawk seems pretty good but the colors really are not all that great. it seems to pack, burnish and finish well. I need to do a few more tests with it. Pacbay results were lack luster and it seem fuzzy. The new thread which is twisted for rod building has a stretch that is.. ahhh ok. It packs very nice and it takes finish very well. It cuts clean and didn't untwist badly when cut under pressure. I need to get better colors and sizes to try as I only have a rust color in A.

This is all done by me so once given to the out wrappers the real test is on. Prowrap and Fishhawk are about the only real choices out there right now. If this new brand comes out it too might be a better choice or maybe will end up being the only in the long run!!
Fibrestar is offline   Reply With Quote