Thread: Wood charts
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Finally got a look at the chart. Nice info. Printed copy filed away. Thanks. Question? I notice Rock maple rated poor durability. I don't know what the ratings consist of but we use rock maple in all our baseball bats along with major leaugues. Confusing. What does the specific gravity measure?
I will check in case it was a typo on the durability, was getting a little crazy eyed, but as far as specific gravity

The specific gravity (SG) of wood is a measure of the amount of structural material a tree species allocates to support and strength. Differentiating wood specific gravity from wood density, drying wood samples at temperatures below 100°C and the resulting moisture content complications, and improperly measuring wood volumes.

in a nut shell its related to the density of the wood and will effect the float and how much lead it would take to sink the piece of wood.

I am working on a calculator that will be a best guess as to how much lead you would need to sink a piece of wood, for example a 3"x 1" piece of AYC will sink with around 1.25 oz of lead
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote