View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Habs did this. I've done it on occasion. I use a piece of .094" piano wire as a pull wire. Hardware stores have this, it is very tough and rigid.
I lube it with PAM cooking spray, run it through the plug, pour, then pull it out about a minute later. The stuff is long enough that you can bend it into a L or C shaped handle and grip one end well

Usually, like Paul, I pour weights to the size I want (but if doing it again I would use a drill to make the mold very fractionally smaller than the drill I use for the weight hole itself.

I also have a drop shot mold that lets me pour 3" lengths of 3/8" lead.
I find it easy to cut these to desired length. If I want a 1/2" by 3/8" lead slug I drill a 1/2" deep hole in a block of wood, then drill all the way through the block with a 5/32 drill so I can push the cut slug out from the back. I insert the 3/8" drop shot blank into the hole, cut it flush with a hacksaw, then push it out with a 1/8" rod. This works really well since you can use one mold to make slugs of any length/weight very quickly.

For filling weight holes I now use white marine epoxy that comes in dual syringe dispensers. I just squeeze out a tiny amount, mix it, apply it, and level it with a razor blade used as a scraper. It takes over night to dry, but sands well, has no fumes, and does not degrade like water based fillers.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote