View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #81
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dozenraw View Post
Four years ago tomorrow story.

I was fishing/practice conventional casting at the end of the road by the boat launch at Quonnie. Two newer, large pickups pulled up and 3 men around my age (60s) got out. I noted some stickers on the trucks relating to the military and NRA and The Flag of These United States displayed prominently. As the three approached they were loudly expressing their displeasure with the outcome of the election. I listened but decided not to participate. But after a minute or two I heard one or two of these folks express a desire that "the g.d. fool" (might have been an SOB in there as well) screw everything up and an "I hope he really makes a mess of things".

At this point I decide to ask a couple of questions. I said, "You all are patriots... correct?" They acknowledged that they were to a man, definitely patriots.

I then asked, "Well then could you explain how patriots like yourselves would justify hoping that the democratically elected President of These United States would screw everything up and make a real mess of things?"

We fished on in absolute silence. I was grateful that I had asked these questions.. and grateful the I wasn't one of the guys who were asked.

No matter who wins tonight, I will pray for his success. Lord knows we need it and Lord knows we need to pull together at every opportunity.
maybe we should take this to the political forum, but I wholeheartedly disagree. The president failing does not mean the country fails. To many of us, quite the contrary. I do not think that people who have over 1M in assets when they die, the government has the right to seize (aka TAX) 55% of their assets. I hope the presidents fails in passing the estate tax. I hoped he failed in his health care reform, fails in his tax increases, fails in passing many of the laws the democrats are proposing. I think I am patriotic becasuse I know and care enough that he does fail. Obama gets it. He even said it in his speach last night. This is democracy, arguments and differences of opinion are good. I believe the presidents policies are bad, I want him to fail in passing them. Nothing to be ashamed about that. I would look him in the eye and tell him myself.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all