View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
They are adamant against letting gays in the scouts, but I wonder how adamant they are about letting pediphiles have constant access to young impressionable children? That's when they pull the "Don't ask, don't tell" crap!!!

First, let me admit that I am neither pro nor anti the scouts or their rules, regulations, goals, or moral persuasions. My younger son attained Eagle Scout . I can't say that made him a better or worse person. I believe how he was brought up at home had more to do with that than the scouts. My interest in this discussion solely rests on the concept of free association as garanteed by the Constitution.

As for the scouts position on letting pedofiles having constant access to young scouts, I'm not familiar with that policy. I would think that the organization would be against that, but if it isn't, shame on it. If some instances of it have occurred, that might be more of a local nature than organization wide. In any event, pedofile activity is illegal and can be prosecuted, regardless of the scouts' policies on pedofelia. Being homosexual is not illegal, and consentual activity other than with minors is not illegal. But it is also not illegal for a private organization to have a policy against admitting "gays."

I'm not saying it's that way everywhere, but then again how many gay children are there in the scouts? Surely they can tell just by looking that he is or isn't, right?

Now if a person is displaying attitude and personal traits that are detrimental and damaging to the troop and it's core values, then maybe that individual should be asked to leave, but to defer that stigma on all gay boys/men is just not logical.

If heterosexuality is a core value, then it is logical to ask a homosexual to leave.

It almost sounds like the organization is saying that your sexual orientation is the most important factor in your life. I can only presume that you can be a lying, cheating, drug pushing drug user that bullies and assaults other children and be welcomed into the scouts with no questions asked.

It is saying that it is an important factor, not necessarily the most, in the core value of a scout and those that believe in all the values of scouting. That doesn't presume, not in any way, that lying, cheating, drug pushing drug users, bullies, and assaulters of children are welcomed into the scouts. Those are also against scouting core values.

But.....if you're gay and an honor student, a pillar of the neighborhood, an heroic award winning philanthropist who has been touted by civic leaders and peers alike, then you are SOL!!!

Sorry, but that's the picture that stories like this convey.
A "gay" person may have all those wonderful qualities (so, BTW, have some mafia dons), but the quality of heterosexuality is missing. And the picture that stories like this convey is that the Boy Scouts are an intolerant organization and should change a rule or two. If the organization voluntarily does change its philosophy and its rules, that is the way to go about it. No doubt, stories like this are at least a subliminal, if not a blatant, attempt to force the change. But so long as the organization chooses not to change, it has the freedom to associate with those who agree with its policies. And those who disagree with those policies are free not to associate.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-11-2012 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: typos