View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyplug1 View Post
Numbskull what's the full name of the guides that you suggested for the GSB 108 1 L you called them BMNAG ? I get my rods done with cork tape with no reel seat will that be ok with the rod will it effect the rods action or weight negate the action or the capabilities of the rod? The wraps should be what size thread and have no under wrap? Right. Thanks going to CMS on Friday thanks again
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
They are older Fuji guides and have been supplanted by the K series. B is the color, black, MN the frame style, A the ring material (alconite) and G stands for guide. I would not, however use those measurements exactly for several reasons. First I am still fooling with the rod and think I can do better using lowriders (not something I advise, however, since it is fussy). I just taped those guides on without any big effort to optimize them. Secondly the best guide placement will depend on the height of your reel (in your case this will be lower than a rod using a reel seat) and spool size. Finally, the ideal collector guide for this blank is probably just becoming available and is called a KLH 20 (a size 20 ring on a single foot extra high K frame). If there is no big rush it is likely worth waiting for.

Rather than walk into a company and tell them how to build your rod (which they will do whether it works or not), I think you might do better to discuss it with an individual builder like Saltheart. He could give you his input, which may well be different than mine, then also take the time to set up a test rod with several different layouts for you to cast so you could compare and see what feels right. I think you will end up happier, with a better (and more current) end product, and at similar expense.

As for your other questions, underwraps are optional (I use them), thread size isn't crucial A or D are fine, most guys these days use xflock heat shrink over cork tape (but it costs about $15 more) but it might twist with a taped on seat since it does not adhere to the cork other than by shrinkage....I've never tried it. If the rod is not going to be thrown around too much, single foot guides (KLH-KL-KT) are worth considering on a light rod like this. I use them on several 10 and 11 foot rods and when wrapped on right they hold well and cut weight.

Last edited by numbskull; 08-28-2012 at 07:48 PM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote