View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
ed morini

over a period of time it will skin over. With the can closed the air inside will react with the finish and form a skin. Some do not feel the skin is a problem, and once formed will stop further drying. I usually cut a piece of wax paper to the size of the container and place on the surface of the finish, preventing a skin to form until the next use. This has worked very well for me on any oil type finish. The temperature will only affect the speed at which the the skin will form, naturally the higher the temp the faster the formation. No top on the can will result in the finish drying to a point where it will no longer combine with the air (oxidation reduction process). With the top on the skin formation is limited to the air in the can, the temperature of the can will only aid in the time it takes to skin over. I don't think the temperatures you describe are optimal for the deepest sealing, but would not recommend using the sealer in the house, especially with turps which are more volatile than mineral spirits. If you keep the sealer warm(closed container) and warm the plugs you will get better penetration.

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote