View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo7 View Post
I just turned my first couple dannys and want to cut the lip slot before I cut off the square ends. If I hyrdo orientate before I cut the ends off will I get an accurate reading?
No, not really. I don't see how it will be accurate but it might be close.

I have had large pikies turn sideways after hardware and hooks, I am talking sitting in the water not moving. The answer to that one is don't use ayc with any kind of knots. The density of wood varies enough to effect how it sits in the water. A plug that will end up having a lot of belly weight or heavy hooks may be able to overcome a small difference but it's not going to make up for a very out of balance piece of wood. In my opinion, I agree with Donny Musso that it is important to hydro orientate, I spoke with him a long time last year and that man has a lot of experience in both plug building and fishing.
I would seal darters first once the body is spun, then hydro orientate, then once the top is found cut the slopes and mouth, seal again and try that. Sealer can add weight absorbtion unevenly and effect it also. The only real way to be consistant is use plastic. Darters are a lot of work. You can take a chance with them also, it might work out 80% of the time. I have had luck with a shallow darter made of ayc being careful with choosing the blank for it and I also put a shot of lead in the middle since that plug I make pretty fat, that helps keep it up higher for close to shore shallow spots.

Last edited by Slipknot; 02-11-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote