View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
So as per my first question you are for price control ?
I don't think the government should set prices arbitrarily but can see scenarios where regulations impacting price could be justified.

Take Canada for instance, they have price controls and as a result cheaper drugs. They also have a government system that provides healthcare for everyone, which creates almost a guaranteed customer base. So in this case the price control is balanced (to some degree) with a sure customer. Without price controls they'd risk having to ration some drugs if the manufactures decided to price them above value.

The drug companies don't have to sell to Canada, but they do anyway because the incremental production cost of the drugs is usually small compared to the development, approval and tooling processes...not to mention the tens of billions of dollars it takes to scare us all into demanding drugs for ailments we didn't even know we had.

So price controls in Canada seem to be a win/win for both the consumer and industry, but if you applied the same policy here you'd kill (or perhaps injure) the golden goose.

There is government regulation that helps pharmaceutical companies maintain higher prices across a very large market as well as regulation to ensure quality and safety which adds cost.

I don't think the pharma companies are bad, but when you do hear stories about Americans unable to afford some drugs here that are available across the border 10X cheaper it raises some questions. The pharmaceutical industry is one of the most profitable in the world. Regardless of what happens I'm sure they'll find a way to make a buck.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 09-26-2011 at 11:28 AM..