Thread: Carl T. Bogus
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
scottw

Carl T. Bogus

is a professor of law at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I.

and wrote recently regarding his undertaking to read much of the classic "iconic" conservative literature...found this very interesting

A Liberal Reads the Great Conservative Works - Carl T. Bogus - National Review Online

money quote:

"Conservatives value above all else what Berlin called the negative vision of liberty, namely, freedom from coercion. Liberals are more willing to balance that against the positive vision of liberty — that is, having a reasonable opportunity to realize one’s potential. The negative vision focuses conservatives on restricting the government’s ability to interfere in people’s lives. The positive vision leads liberals to believe that government has a role in guaranteeing baseline minimums in education, medical care, and healthy communities."

if I could ask the professor one, ok...more than one question I supposed I ask him if he felt that the massive programs of "baseline minimums" that liberals are devoted to are actually allowing those receiving government handouts in one form or another to "reach one's potential" or are they more often creating an expanding culture of dependence on the "positive vision" which clearly leads liberals to believe that govenment has a role in guaranteeing all sorts of subsidies and services? and what of the massive debt being accrued to fund this "positive vision", if the debt to fund the "positive vision" results in economic collapse, can those dependent on the "positive vision" still expect a reasonable ability to "reach one's potential" from the liberal and how does the liberal plan to continue to pay for the maintenance of this "baseline minimum"? Can one even enjoy the "positive vision of liberty" without government assistance or intrusion and guarantees of "stuff"

this also falls right in line with Obama's claim and belief that the Constitution is a document of "negative liberties" and is missing something...which is said to be the series of statements of things that the government must or should do for you

Last edited by scottw; 07-19-2011 at 06:48 AM..