View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
EricW

Leo Cooper made a small swimmer that is similar in style to the big daddy and husky dude (8" and 6") plugs. It was originally called the "mini" and later the "small fry". It was 4" long and had a lip similar to the larger swimmers.
It was about 1" in diameter and weighed about 1 ounce. All screw eyes and no weighting. They are great fish catchers. We used to use them in Boston harbor in the 80s. They work great when you can be above the water on a dock/pier or on the bow of a boat, and worked with a jerking motion of the rod tip. This is actually the one plug I was thinking of when I got into plug building. We couldn't get any more of these and they were our favorites. I don't think anyone is making a lip for it. I use one of the pike style lips that Mike at CCBT has before it is bent and is just flat. The bottom curved portion is the exact size you need. I just trace one and cut off the top section, bend it and go from there.
For eyes, Leo used several different types of beads and then moved onto what I would call a doll/craft eye. I have purchased them off Ebay. They are a 9 or 10 mm doll eye. I like the veined ones.
He also made some other small swimmers. I attached a pic of some I recently acquired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3556.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	44488   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3555.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	44489   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3557.jpg
Views:	347