Thread: Radar Detector
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I will somewhat disagree with above. Radar detectors, properly employed, do have benefit. Driving flat out helter-skelter won't do much good but a more calculated approach will.

* But as stated above - NOT speeding as much and driving safely should be the goal *

First, on the highway I like to use what I call the the Rabbit approach I've practiced for 20 something years. Much like a dog track, you want the "Rabbit" well out in front, approximately a 1/4 mile or so in advance, where you will match speed. With your radar detector on and you a 1/4 mile back, someone else gets to be the guinea pig. There are a few variations on this but the main idea is to run behind other faster car(s) - safely - and let them test the waters so to speak. Not recommeded that you follow the vehicle doing 90-110, but at more sane speeds. Obviously traffic conditions significantly dictate the safety.

That is probably the best defense you can run. I don't speed like I used to (got my license on the Autobahn - really) and I never drove recklessly (much). For the last 15 years or so I've driven more slowly and more responsibly but still in excess of the speed limits (as does 90% of other people).

This has very limited effect on LIDAR as mentioned above, another reason to have someone else be the Rabbit. But most operations - at least where I drive - are still in Ka and K band radars.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote