View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.i.fish.in.vt View Post
personally i like to catch fish not watch others catch them.as i said to each there own.
That is why God made eels.

In seriousness, however, I understand what you are saying. The worst swimming plug I ever built is this "skinny donny" design I stumbled on. Horribly unstable (it barrel rolls with a twitch), unwilling to stay on the surface, and virtually unfishable on spinning tackle (too hard to retrieve that slow). I tested it, rejected it, and forgot about it until one day I stumbled into a bluefish blitz pushing peanuts on a beach near my house. I ran home and grabbed something I could care less about losing, threw the plug into the melee, and a 15 bass came out of nowhere to crush it. WTF?!!!.

Subsequently I fished it, tweaked it, and have ended up with a plug that has taken several fish over 40-47 lbs for me and a few friends. The plug swims so poorly that I've stopped giving them away since guys would swim it once, decide it was crap, and never use it again.

So although I don't agree with your "try anything as a hammer and stop with what works" philosophy, I do agree that none of us are as smart about plugs as we think and there is always more to learn by trying stuff and letting the fish decide.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote