View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Some thoughts on the EPL.

I think the best inside mid the US is likely to have going forward will be this kid Holden, who is now with Bolton, and has looked good when I've seen him. It will be interesting to see how he does as the season begins. Sucks that the US resigned Bradley as coach. It means his son will be a fixture for the next cycle...and although he is good, I think we can do better inside.

Curious to see what becomes of Dempsey now that Hodgson has left Fulham. I never thought Dempsey was a particularly reliable midfielder, particularly defensively, but his goal scoring ability keeps getting him on the field. He didn't start Fulham's last game and I wonder if he will have to (or can) improve his game to get significant playing time this year.

As much as I admire Friedel, I'm hoping he picks up some nagging injury that gives Guzman a run in Villa's goal. I'd like to see how he can do.

My wife's team is Newcastle. This guy Carroll looks like the real deal. Their owner is a turd, but I want to see them do well and stay up.

Liverpool is a sad case. Amazing how losing one key player, Xavi Alonso, can start such a downward spiral. They are in deep trouble now with Mascharano gone. Got a better coach, however.

Tottenham looks like a threat to beat anyone, but probably don't have the depth to make a serious run at the top. I think they will be the team most fun to watch this year.

Arsenal looks like a shadow of their former selves.

Man City is going to be very good, I think.

ManU always surprises me. They seem above average but nothing special at most positions, but Ferguson really knows how to assemble a team that functions well together. Rooney is lost right now, but once he gets it back they'll contend.

Chelsea, I'm starting to hate, even without Ballack. But Drogba is amazing, Malouda looks poised for a breakout season, and Essien is a force of nature. I think they'll dominate this year.

As I see it.

Chelsea
Man U
Man City
Tottenham
Arsenal
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote