View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Actually, the greatest respect you can give someone is to treat them as an equal--that is, to transfer the respect you have for yourself to the other person. That engenders a like response from the other person back to you. If you show too much, make too much of a point of going out of your way to assist someone, that can signal your superiority in the matter and create resentment against you.
Very well said.

Quote:
That has been one of the subtly negative results of white societies "aid" to the black community. Between the cruel treatement of white racists and the over-coddling of the well meaning but guilt-ridden whites, there are few treat-me-as-an-equal whites for blacks to truly respect.
I think the reality is that white and black people in many ways often have a very different perspective on life in America. I would guess the majority of white people, while not indifferent to race, for the most part don't let it influence their decisions in any meaningful way. Certainly some do on either extreme as you have noted.

-spence