View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
the greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
What material is the needle .. Foam ? plastic ? ... You said you didn't like the mold .. How would Bondo be ? ... I think they came out sweet .. Only took Bob Pond until 1948 to go to the consistency of plastic .. We're all gluttens for punishment .. nice work .. very interested ..
I used Alumilite. This stuff is by far the easiest stuff to use. Two part equal mix by volume or weight. Part A has consistency of say olive oil and part B is much thinner like water. Mix and pour. I have used the foam and HATED it. I also have the microballoons that can be added to make the plastic float. I liked the sink on the plastic as is for needles. I don't nessessarily dislike the mold just would like a two piece that I could use a bent wire harness in and not have to do anything but prime and paint. I could not get the wire to line up right on my two part even with using a jig for the harness to make it same everytime. So I opted for the build on the rod thingy. I get a needle that all I have to do is wire and I can move weighting around on the rod wherever I want.

I made this mold from RTV and it is not as user friendly as some other stuff. I have made some real nice two piece molds from a pourable urethane that has the consistency of a car tire. I really like the way they came out and were a little easier to use. May try another with that sometime. In my very limited opinion and from what I have read and tried I would stick with a pliable or soft mold for hard plastic. Bondo would work fine with something like a needle but you have trouble getting the piece out of the mold. The rtv needs no release agent like the urethane molds do. I found that out the hard way when I forgot to spray it on one of my old molds.

I feel like I am rambling on here. If you have anymore questions shoot. I will bring the stuff with me to plugfest so you can check it out.
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote