Thread: Bye bye BLO....
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I tested soaking times between 1 minute and 1 hour at different intervals and found no more penetration from 1 minute to 1 hour......I have never had any water intrusion, cracking, peeling or lifting paint! The true test for me came when I lost one of my plugs over Cuttyhunk....went back over 4 weeks later and Afterhours found the plug wrapped around a pot line in the water...for 4 weeks it was submerged! Almost all the paint had been worn off by the rocks ( there was still some on and it was solid), there was no swelling, and no cracking anywhere particularly at the belly grommet and belly weight area....no cracking at all! I was sold! Could post pics of the plug later? Oh....and 1 eye was missing!

Cant ask for a better test than that... it's just an experiment.... like I said I'll give it a whirl... on the other hand, I've been walking this earth long enough not to put all my eggs in one basket.. half of each batch will still be sealed in BLO... I'm not in buisness so I have nothing to loose... only to gain.. at least my experiment gives us something to rehash one more time..
BTW... I picked Tung oil because after some research I found it has been sealing wood as long as BLO.. and is the main ingreediant in Water Lox which I know some guy's have been using for some time ....

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote