Thread: Scare Tactics
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
The data behind social security drying up and the retiring baby boomer population is staggering. yet when Bush tride to overhall it, he received nothing but flack and no cooperation. Suddenly healthcare is a huge issue whihc will bankrupt the country. I have not seen any data as compelling as the social security issue. we definitly need change, but they're goign down the wrong path
I agree with you. The HC debate is no longer about cutting costs, as the Dems have realized that looking altruistic will be more effective than being practical. It's much easier for them to have the blanket argument of "well, the Republicans that vote against this don't want every sick child in America to have health care". Conservatives have decided that "this won't save money" isn't working and have shifted to "The Democrats that vote for this want to kill babies." Being reasonable doesn't win votes, extremism does.

The Social Security situation was (and still is) ridiculous. I have accepted that the tens of thousands I'll pay into SS over my lifetime will never be seen again. However, I didn't agree with the way Bush wanted to approach it. In my opinion, Bush and SS is very similar to Obama with HC. Bush correctly identified that SS is going to be a major issue very soon - but his approach to fixing was not the correct path. Obama has correctly identified that HC is currently a major issue - but there is not way in hell this is the right way to fix it.

Obama is using the same approach to try and sell HC as the Bush administration did to try and sell the Iraq war and SS reform. "If we don't ****** the country is guaranteed to the country is going to go collapse."
Replace ****** with "reform HC/SS/Capital Gains Tax/Invest in Green Energy".