View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
stripermaineiac

Wood drillin problem

Hi all,I've been getting more an more into making plugs to the point that the results are workin pretty good. I've got a few that are really working and am thinking or adding them to my rod an fly business.
Well one problem has come up with the type of wood that gives me the boyancy that works best with my redo and modification of a couple of the needles into a sweet plug.
I've been using that nice select pine that HD sells. The problem is the sap line is a bitch to drill through with out around 20 percent walking. i've tried drilling with the lathe,different jigs,larger bits,smaller bits and just about everything I've read on all the plug building sites and even talking with a couple of the real old timers for ideas.
my question is does anyone have an idea of how to deal with this problem. Or an alternative wood that has the same boyancy.
I make some pencils,dannys,atom jrs,poppers anspooks that works great using bass wood an AYC with no problems with drilling so it leads me towards the sap line as the problem.So hopefully there's an idea out there. Thanks in advance, Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote