Thread: Island cops
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Seatbelts

First of all I wouldn't give Sandman a ticket because his wife is a doctor and probably works at the hospital where I might be brought in after being injured on duty, ya think.
Seatbelt violation on an adult is a secondary violation. Officer can stop for something else and just write for the seatbelt violation. He just has to have the PC for the stop other than the secondary stop violation.

Seatbelt violation on a child is a primary stop, all day every day. A very common cause of death of any child in the front seat of a car was the crushing injuries that occurred during a crash when the adult is thrown forward into the dash while holding a child.

I never knowingly wrote a nurse a citation either, ever, nurses are truely saints.

I remember the stories about Skip Manter after he graduated frrom the State Police Academy in May of 1976 with me. Hiding in the bushes, waiting for people to shed thier clothes and run in the water to go swimming. He'd run down to thier clothes and take them back to the station, making the owners of the clothes come into the station to get them back. Thats a direct quote from his story about doing that. I am not repeating someone elses story. The island a quirky place. Forty people will write letters to the editors of the Gazette about the local heroin dealer, and how the family is such a nice family, but the same people will chastise someone for clear cutting property they own in violation of MVC rules.

A buddy of mine was in Georgia visiting his son a few years ago. He got stopped for doing 41 m.p.h. in a 40 m.p.h. zone. Cop gave him a break because he was the retired chief of our auxilliary police department. Next day same guy stops him for the same violation 41 in a 40. He wrote him up.

Last edited by Swimmer; 06-22-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: because sometimes I am not as funny as I think I am

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote