View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

E-mail backups are an IT guys worst nightmare.....backing up gigs of "Xmas Pics at Aunt Pegs House" and "10 reasons why Woman are Better than Men Jokes".

If most of that data is Email data I would set up an e-mail policy where each e-mail box is only 100 meg in size and delete anything over 90 days old. your monthly backup tape should archive everything.

also set up some rules to block certain attahments (i.e. .mpg, .wmv, .mp3, and so on) get rid of the files that are obviously NOT work related. you may even want to go to text only e-mails if all you are supposed to be using it for is sending messages and not anything else.

I find that if you want to run a smooth e-mail back up....you need to be a dink...because people keep friggin everything.

If you take some of these steps you may not even need to get a new backup system....you may find your good with the current one for years.

What types of data are you backing up? any files that you an put on a tape and then archive the tape....then delete them from the server or move them to a location thats not part of the nightly backup for quick access.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote