Thread: gun laws
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #40
ReelinRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
Ok so give one kid a plastic bag and one kid a loaded gun. who dies first?
Who's arguing "giving" either to children?

Quote:
comparing the lethality of a plastic bag to a gun is just stupid.
Well then, I'm sure glad I wasn't making any such comparison.

I was comparing your response to the different modes of death not the deaths themselves. You asked if the number of accidental gun deaths are, "an exceptable[sic] price to pay for the right of everyone to own a gun" and questioned, "So everyone should have the right to own one, no matter how stupid or irresponsable[sic].[sic] and kids getting shot, well thats[sic] the price you pay."

You are the one who wants to quantify a "price" on the preservation of (some) human life to be borne by the consumer or justify rights deprivation, so I rebutted with (and you quoted):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod View Post
There are many consumer products that pose an unintended life threatening danger to children. Motorized garage doors kill a bunch as do plastic bags; curtain cords strangle dozens every year. Let's examine your suggestions to restrict the freedom to own spackle buckets; after all, 50 toddlers a year drown in them; surely your selfish right to own a 5 gallon bucket can't outweigh the danger to our youngest innocents can it?
My point is, where is your outcry over the unintentional deaths of children caused by other items and conditions found in life? You wish to draw attention to the 100 or so kids accidentally killed by guns annually but turn a blind eye to 8000 unintentionally killed by other things . . .

So, the question must be asked; is your outrage just reserved for firearms? Of course it is . . . Because your faux moral indignation serves the greater political agenda . . .

Mr. Genius, give me your gut feeling on this; for 2005 did more kids 10 and under die from accidental suffocation or accidental gunshot?
Here's a hint . . . One manner of death killed 23 times more children 10 and under than the other.

Quote:
If one can compare guns to buckets, . . .
Again, not comparing manner of death only comparing your whacked-out equivalency where the deaths of 932 kids 10 and under due to suffocation can be ignored and deaths of the 40 killed by accidental discharge of a firearm can be used as political fodder to call for the enactment of laws that directly violate the Constitution of the United States. Got it?

Quote:
than are you for legalizing drugs too?. . .
As a matter of fact I am for decriminalizing drugs, at least at the federal level.

Quote:
Shouldn't everyone have the right to use drugs if one can use them responsably[sic]?
No, everyone should have the right to use them even if they use them irresponsibly.

Quote:
Is that link intended to stand in any fashion as informed, logical and effective rebuttal to my posts to you? And you have the audacity to assign yourself the authority to declare someone stupid?

That's akin to Helen Thomas calling somebody ugly!

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.