View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
How many guides will that SSU have built that way and how big are the smallest guides near the tip Mike?
Just for your interest, I built a SSU 1201mh using tnsg 10-10-10-Tvsg 16-25-Svsg 40 this winter for a reel with a 2.5" diameter spool (22mm reel seat). Spacing from tip is 5.5, 13,21.5,33,47,63.5 with the spool lip approx 33 from the collector, but a reel seat 22" from the butt to the reel stem which I found to be too short and ended up extending to 24" (for a rod length of 10'2"). It casts quite well, handles significant fish well and is substantially less tip heavy than the Lami setup. I have used it only with fireline so how it would do with powerpro I can't say. It did not do well casting a shocker (although I cast shockers all the time through 10's on conventional stuff). Looks strange with the nsgs.

I wouldn't advocate following this pattern exactly, I think it could be better (maybe with a 30HH-20H-12-12-12-12 all vsgs). I also suspect that it wouldn't do well with a 706 and mono. I think the stock Lami is set up conservatively to handle mono as well as braid, different sized reels and provide a strength reserve for highsticking so it has more and larger guides than an ideal new concept system on a rod dedicated to fishing braid.

Casual readers should also be aware that the fuji new concept system is much different than the lowrider system, which puts a small first guide way out the rod (47" from the reel) and was designed for big distance rods (12-15 ft) as far as I understand it. There are guys who have used it on rods as short as 9 feet....but they are experienced builders pushing the system into uncharted territory. In contrast, the new concept system establishes a choke point at the intersection of the reel shaft angle and rod (hence it is reel and reel seat specific), puts the smallest guide there, then continues the same size guide to the tip, then uses a collector 1/2 the spool diameter (which tends to end up pretty close to the reel) and 1-2 reduction guides to get the line down to the size of the choke guide. It's advantage is to get the braid under control faster, reduce guide loops, and make the rod less tip heavy and more responsive. Casting distance is supposedly not much better than the old cone of flight method used with mono, but that method is more prone to guide loops with braid.

For the record, I'm no authority on new guide systems (just read a fair amount on it this winter). I get the idea, however, that very few rod builders have a whole lot of experience building surf rods yet with either the new concept or lowrider options. Pretty sure that will change since the lightness and crispness makes the rod more pleasurable to fish.

Last edited by numbskull; 10-14-2008 at 05:51 PM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote