View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Call the Police Department and ask them for the skinny on the areas you are looking at. I did that when I moved to G'town. they told me where the "Problem" area(s) were.

Pick up the local paper and go through it to see what the current political issues are. Things like the Schools and Government concerns should be in there.

lastly go hang out there a little.....not just to look at a house....little neighborhood restaurants/pubs usually have guys sitting around the bar talking about the towns problems....you don't need to take what they say as gospel but if something gets your attention you can research it a little.

remember you'r spending 3/4's of a million dollars (wait until you read that Truth in Lending Statement ) do some research.

If your planning on having kids...schools are a big deal. research those. Also look at the breakdown of the ages living in town.....larger population of people over 50 usually means that less tax money gets funneled into the school system....more people under 40 usually means more tax money gets funneled there.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote